Who Can Race
Anyone can race from the age of 1 to 101. It does not matter if you’re a boy or a girl we have fun at all ages. Some families have brothers, sisters and parents racing!!
What do you need
To get started you need up to a 20” or Cruiser style bike, so that you can start in the “Novice” Class. You can come the track on any race day, (we do close for inclement weather,) there will be a number of people willing to help you get started.
When starting out it is not necessary to spend tons of money on a bike. The bike you normally ride is most likely good enough to get you going with some adjustments.
Make sure all bolts are tight – especially your axle and stem bolts. Remove any freestyle type axle pegs. All reflectors/brackets must be removed for safety purposes. If your bike has a kickstand, it must be taken off. You will eventually need a number plate. You will be provided a temporary number plate with your membership purchase.
Clothing and Equipment
It is required that you wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants or jeans. Helmets are also required. USABMX recommends a full-face helmet. Many tracks require a full-face helmet. We have a few loaners at the track. Any enclosed pair of sneakers will do.
Here are some recommended but not required equipment:
- BMX style gloves
- BMX style knee and elbow pads
Every rider practicing or competing on any USABMX sanctioned track must obtain a USABMX membership prior to riding on the track. Memberships can be purchased at the track.
What’s Strider about?
Strider bikes serve the youngest members of the BMX families! Allowing 2-5 year olds to participate at the track versus watching the older siblings! Strider bikes are designed specifically to help toddlers and young children learn balance and coordination BEFORE pedaling. The simple, no-pedal design allows even the youngest children to learn to ride on two wheels, avoiding tricycle tip-overs and training wheel wobbles, and instilling considerable confidence and stellar bike handling skills.
USA BMX Strider Racing Rules
- Rider must be a USA BMX member (annual membership $30)
- Parent may assist rider on start hill
- Parent can NOT follow child onto track during the race
- Rider should be able to ride track unassisted
- Rider must complete course for a scoring position
- Two riders are needed to make a class. (If only one rider in an age class, combine with the next closest age)
- Race order: 5, 4, 3, 2 year olds
SOMD BMX is the only USABMX track in the region that has a dedicated Balance Bike track!
- Manufactured no-pedal two wheel bike (no converted pedal bikes, no homeade bikes)
- 12″ max tire diameter
- Properly fitted helmet with meets US CPSC helmet safety standards required.
- No slip on shoes or sandals (full toe coverage required)
- Long pants or short with knee pads
- Long sleeve shirt or short sleeves with elbow pads
- Gloves (recommended)
Southern Maryland BMX is an authorized reseller of Strider balance bikes.